auroras in the sky


I'm super excited to finally share this post because it truly is something different. This has to be in my top of favourite creatures with features portraits and I have a feeling you can guess why. I almost felt bad giving it away.



The auroras - custom illustration - watercolour on textured paper | 50x70 cm

It might just have been another addition to the project, but this one was special to me because it included one of my favourite things: space. And I've been obsessed with the universe and everything about it for quite some time now and it was really odd I've not used it more in my artwork. So I was glad someone finally pushed me into painting star-filled watercolour skies. And yes, when you look at the finished painting, the ground and sky might seem separated but I kind of like the 2D look of the portrait versus the 3D effect of the sky, makes you look at it even more.



Oh and it was a challenge, auroras can be difficult to paint in watercolour since this technique doesn't allow that much layering. I worked on it for days, painting the sky over and over again and after a few try-outs, I think it turned out pretty nice. I think this just might be the beginning of something amazing. I, for one, can't wait.




Comments

Popular Posts